- Portugal is situated in South-western Europe on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Country Population: 10.7 million.
- Lisbon Population: 2,823,965.
- Portugal has a warm and sunny climate.
- The Portuguese love their fish!
- Portugal is 4-hours ahead of Ontario time.
- Portugal is predominantly Roman Catholic, at about 85%. About 2% follow other Christian faiths, while 9% of the population are self-declared as nonreligious. There are also other small faith communities in Portugal, including Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, and Jewish.
- The Portuguese people are deeply rooted in the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church. Most people would say that they belong to the Catholic Church, although they probably do not attend on a regular basis due to past centuries of little religious freedom. As a result, faith is not talked about openly and people are bound up in old traditions of paganism and the occult. Genuine faith needs renewal.
- Portugal, along with most of Western Europe is becoming more post-Christian, especially within the younger generations. The attitude of most, is that “you believe whatever you want and I will believe whatever I want and we won’t step on each other’s toes”.